Stam shares her style tips and experience on why engagement shoots are so beneficial.
Hello and welcome to my solo blog for couples thinking about their pre wedding or engagement photography! I am going to share with you how to prepare for a photoshoot with your wedding photographer.
As a wedding photographer, I understand how important it is to feel comfortable and confident in front of the camera on your special day. That’s why I’m sharing these pre-wedding photography style tips to help you look and feel your best during your shoot. By following these suggestions, not only will you create beautiful images to celebrate your love story, but you’ll also prepare yourself for your wedding day by getting super comfortable in front of the camera. So, let’s get started!
Pre Wedding or Engagement Style Suggestions
As an experienced photographer, I’ve found these style tips work best for couples during their pre-wedding photo shoot with me and Liam:
- Coordinate outfits: Coordinate your outfits with your partner to ensure a cohesive look, without matching too closely. This creates a visual balance that will enhance the overall appeal of the photos.
- Consider the location: Choose outfits that suit the location of your shoot. This can include colours and textures that complement the background, or outfits that are practical for the setting. A city shoot in Lisbon or London might have more of an urban feel to a beach or parkland shoot, so confirm the location with us first before finalising your style.
- Incorporate accessories: Add interest and personality to your outfits with accessories such as hats, scarves, and jewellery. These details can add dimension to your photos and make them more unique.
- Keep it classic: Avoid overly trendy outfits that may look dated in a few years. Instead, choose classic outfits that will stand the test of time and still look stylish years down the line.
- Feel comfortable: Above all, choose outfits that you feel comfortable and confident in. This will show in your photos, and help you and your partner relax and enjoy your pre-wedding shoot.
- Wear well-fitted clothes: For men, I suggest wearing something classic like a tailored linen shirt and slim-fit chinos for a classic, sophisticated look. Women should wear something that flatters their figure and makes them feel confident. The right fit can make all the difference in photos. You can add a splash of colour if the groom is going for neutral tones, or mix and match other neutral tones for a more earthy look.
What hair and makeup should I have on an engagement shoot?
- Bring different shoes: Consider bringing both high heels and flat shoes to the shoot, especially if you’ll be walking from place to place. However, avoid wearing shoes that make you too much taller than your partner, as this can look awkward in photos. Opt for shoes that are comfortable and easy to walk in, while still complimenting your outfit.
- Hair and makeup matter: Your hair and makeup can make a big difference in how you look and feel in your pre-wedding photos. Having consistent skin tones and sophisticated eye makeup can draw attention to your expression and add to the romance of the shoot. It’s okay for you to do your own hair and makeup, or hire a professional makeup artist if you do not feel confident. Whatever keeps you more relaxed and comfortable during the shoot is the way to go.
How will a good photographer help me get photos I love?
- Focus on each other, not the photographer: A good photographer will encourage you to focus on each other and not on them. Once you get to know your photographer, you should feel comfortable in front of them. This is the best way to get some really beautiful and intimate photos. Once you feel that trust, you will be confident to focus your attention on each other, and that’s where the magic happens. There will always be real moments between you, even in a controlled environment like a pre-wedding shoot. A good photographer will facilitate that atmosphere so they can capture the real connection between you without it feeling contrived.
- Start with an activity you enjoy: Especially in a city like London, it can be great to start your pre-wedding shoot by doing something you enjoy, like going to a nice wine bar or coffee shop for a drink. It looks surprisingly good capturing everyday environments with you in them, and it warms you up nicely by giving you something to do for the first few minutes of the shoot. This can also help you feel more relaxed and comfortable in front of the camera, and the photos will reflect that.
- Practice your first dance: Have some fun and practice your first dance at your engagement shoot, it will make you laugh and add some movement to your photos that looks great, even if it feels silly.
I hope you found these pre-wedding photography style suggestions helpful in preparing for your upcoming shoot. Remember, we’re always here to answer any questions you may have or provide additional guidance. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us on WhatsApp or email to learn more about how we photograph our couples to capture the beautiful images they want from their pre-wedding or engagement session.
For all UK couples, we have the option to shoot your pre-wedding photos in either Lisbon or London, as we are based in both places throughout the year. Contact us today to learn more about how we can capture your love story in one of these stunning locations.